Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Descalso's approach with Cardinals: Keep it simple - Belleville News Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- Daniel Descalso earned high marks as a rookie with the St. Louis Cardinals last season for his ability to play third base, shortstop and second base --and be effective at each spot.

Descalso also filled in as an occasional pinch-hitter, going 5-for-21 (.238) with two doubles and two RBIs.

It wasn't an easy assignment, but the gritty Descalso said it became more manageable for him because he didn't have unrealistic goals about his job.

"I think my attitude showing up to the ballpark every day was, 'What can I do today to help the team win?'" Descalso said. "If it's starting, that's great. If it's coming off the bench as a defensive replacement or pinch-hitter or pinch-runner or pinch-bunter, if I can do one thing to help the team win, I felt like it was a good day for me. I think that helped me a lot."

Descalso is expected to compete with Tyler Greene for the starting second-base spot. But the Cardinals might prefer to capitalize on his versatility.

"Basically, what he's told me is to come in ready to compete at second base, but don't forget the other two spots," Descalso said of new manager Mike Matheny. "I think my versatility, last year at least can help the team. I don't mind playing third one night and second the next night --or throw me out at short.

"Wherever I can get into the lineup, I'm happy to be there. I'm excited to play for Mike. He's not Tony La Russa. He's not going to manage the same way. He's going to bring his own style, and I think we're excited to see what that's going to be."

For more on the Cardinals, see Monday's News-Democrat or visit www.bnd.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment