Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

NFL Mock Draft 2012: Trent Richardson Wouldn't Improve The St. Louis Rams ... - SB Nation St. Louis

My 2012 NFL Mock Draft nightmare: I move leisurely toward the St. Louis Rams' No. 6, putting players where I think they belong one after the next, only once I get there I realize that there's nobody left for the Rams to take except Trent Richardson. That's how it goes in the latest SB Nation draft, where the Cleveland Browns nab Justin Blackmon. I've said this a million times, but blogging as a medium is about repeating yourself a million times: If the Rams want to get better right now, drafting another good running back isn't the way to do it.

This isn't even specifically about running backs' lower profile in a modern NFL offense, though it hooks in there; it's about what Steven Jackson is doing already. Last year he ran the ball 260 times for 1145 yards, 4.4 per carry, running the ball for five touchdowns. The Rams finished 2-14.

Richardson might be better than Jackson now, slowed as he is by age and injury. But how many wins better can he be? How many wins better can any running back be?

No comments:

Post a Comment