Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Hey Heidi: How does Fredbird stay cool? - KSDK

By Heidi Glaus

St. Louis (KSDK) -- St. Louis Cardinals mascot Fredbird stands six feet three inches tall and has probably been photographed more than Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, Princess Diana and Marilyn Monroe combined.

"How many pictures do you take when you're at a ballgame?" I ask. "Hundreds of thousands," Fredbird tells me.

Game after game he is pointed at, hugged and high-fived more times than he can keep track of. Sure he's occasionally blown-off, but that's only until kids are older and wiser.

"He's awesome," says one kid.

"You're 12 years old, does that mean you've outgrown Fredbird?" I ask a fan. "I don't think you can outgrow Fredbird," the 12 year old says.

He is, after all, sort of majestic, but rather hard to pin down on how exactly he stays cool.

"I notice that you don't wear any pants does that keep you cooler?" I ask, but it only seems to embarrass the mascot.

And let's be honest, that's not his secret, but his air-conditioned office might be. It's a place where he can put his feet up and cool off. It's even decorated with pictures of his friends from other teams.

"So do you really have to do your own laundry?" I ask when I notice a box of detergent on the top of a locker.

Apparently he does, and his favorite t-shirt, one with a line through that infamous rally squirrel, just went through the wash.

Well here's another little secret, he's been doing the happy dance ever since that rally squirrel disappeared.

KSDK

No comments:

Post a Comment