Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

St. Louis Cardinals Fans Earn Chris Perez's Endorsement, To Cleveland Indian ... - SB Nation (blog)

In an interview last week, Chris Perezâ€"formerly of the St. Louis Cardinals, now, begrudgingly, of the last-in-attendance Cleveland Indiansâ€"decried the remaining Indians fans' consistent booing of their wild but reasonably effective closer, comparing them specifically to St. Louis in a move that noted interview coach Crash Davis described as "probably not a great idea." Jeff Gordon has a rundown of his comments at the Post-Dispatch.

I completely understand Perez's desire to have the few fans that show up at the former Jacobs Field be a little more positive about his performances, but I'm not sure I remember the St. Louis fans speaking as fondly about him as he does about them; for the most part, whenever I was in a crowd at Busch Stadium during Perez's tenure as a Cardinal I remember getting variations on the "He's a thrower, not a pitcher!" routine from my ersatz friends in the bleachers.

He's even more of a thrower now than he was then, so as ill-advised as that trade for Mark DeRosa was I'm not sure I share his recollection of the way he was treated at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment