Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

An Interview with St. Louis Cardinals draft pick Carson Kelly - Redbird Rants

Carson Kelly, the St. Louis Cardinals 2nd round (86th overall) draft pick, recently joined Redbird Rants for an interview.

Carson Kelly, the St. Louis Cardinals second round draft pick. Image Credit: Carson Kelly


Daniel Solzman: Thanks for joining Redbird Rants today. How are things going out in Portland?

Carson Kelly: Things have been good. Just finishing up with school and graduating coming up this Monday so just big things are happening here in Portland.

Daniel Solzman: I can imagine. How does it feel to be drafted in the second round by the Cardinals?

Carson Kelly: It’s just a blessing for me having the opportunity to make a dream become reality. This is just unbelievable. Thinking back on it, I’m just in shock. I’m like wow, this is actually happening. It’s just a true honor to be drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals and I’m really excited.

Daniel Solzman: You played both third base and pitched at Westview High School? Which position do you plan to focus on more at the next level, no matter what decision you make about your future?

Carson Kelly: I would say more of a third baseman or corner infielder just as far as it comes naturally so hopefully I can do that and just continue to work and develop and continue to grow.

Daniel Solzman: Alright. I know that you had posted on your Facebook account that you intend to be one of the 5% in Major League Baseball to have a college degree. Has that changed since being drafted on Tuesday? How tough of a decision is this going to be and what will it ultimately come down to?

Carson Kelly: I think it’s just going to come down to my gut feeling. It’s going to be tough between the University of Oregon or the St. Louis Cardinals. Both are tremendous opportunities. I’m just going to continue to work and see what happens. If I do decide to pursue my career in professional baseball, then I plan to do some offseason schooling and take online classes just to continue that and get as close as I can to my degree.

Daniel Solzman: Have you spoken with Coach George Horton with Oregon this week?

Carson Kelly: I have, yes. It’s just been talking to him and getting the guys ready for the Super Regional. I wish the best for them because it’s going to be a great trip and if they win this, they get to go to the College World Series. It’s just an opportunity of a lifetime for them. I’m looking forward to see how they do and wish them all the best.

Daniel Solzman: You played for the 18U National Team last year? What was that whole experience like with representing your country?

Carson Kelly: It’s touching because you represent your country. All the guys on the teamâ€"a lot of the guys got drafted this year. It’s very special to see all of our work that’s paid off. It’s just an opportunity of a lifetime to go down to Columbia, taking on a 16U from Mexico. Just to go down there for your country and playing other countries. The best in the world so it’s very touching and I’ve very blessed to be a part of that those teams.

Daniel Solzman: Thanks again for joining us today and best of luck in your future no matter what you decide.

Carson Kelly: Thank you very much.

Daniel Solzman: Before you go, any final words for the best fans in baseball?

Carson Kelly: I’m excited. If I do decide to sign, I can’t wait to get out there and just perform for the best fans in baseball.

Be sure to keep up to date with all the latest on the St Cardinals news and opinions by liking our Facebook page. You can also follow us on Twitter @FSRedbirdRants and @FSRedbirdRants/Staff

Tags: , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment